chocxo mole recipe
2 garlic cloves
100g Chiles - stem removed
100g Guajillo - stem removed
2 small onions
4 red tomatoes
5 green tomatillos
2 sticks cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorn
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 French baguette
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 star anise
16 cups broth (vegetable stock)
500g 50% chocolate (or chocolate of your choice)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup corn oil
- Pour broth into large stock pot. Bring to boil.
- Pour corn oil into frying pan. Heat oil until hot enough to fry.
- Fry chiles, baguette, and banana one at a time until browned. Remove and place each into the broth after browning.
- To pan, add cinnamon, peppercorn, sesame seeds, cumin, coriander seeds, pumpkin seeds, and star anise. Add heat until toasted then add to broth.
Do not clean off pan prior to adding these ingredients!
- In the same pan, cook tomatoes, tomatillos, garlic, and onions until soft. Add to pot with the other ingredients.
- Boil broth until ingredients are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add to blender and puree.
- Strain the puree and put into a large pot over medium heat. Let it reduce to half the original size.
- Add chocolate.
- Add salt and season to taste.
- Enjoy with meat of your choice!